Clear and prevent acne naturally
Reconsider your current skincare routine
Have you been suffering from acne even though you’ve been using “acne products or treatments”, washing your face excessively or avoiding products that are oil-based? If your answer is yes, then here are some tips that will make you want to reconsider your current skincare routine to prevent as well as treat acne.
Reasons for acne
There are many reasons for acne such as excess sebum production, clogged pores, stress, poor diet, hormonal imbalance and others. Pimples develop when blocked hair follicles get infected by bacterial or inflamed. Although we cannot exactly control all the factors causing acne, there are ways to help mitigate the issue.
Five tips to get rid of your acne naturally
Here are five tips that will help get rid of your acne naturally.
- You may want to consider using gentle products and avoid harsh products such as alcohol-based product that might give you that squeeky clean feeling that most people with oily skin tend to love but did you know that it is also stripping your skin of its’ natural sebum? The process of drying out the skin will (counterintuitively) lead to more sebum production and hence, acne!
- One of the common mistakes that may lead to more breakouts is the act of over washing your face with a strong, harsh cleanser. This leads to a compromised skin barrier and strips the skin of its natural sebum.
- You may be tempted to use physical exfoliants to “scrub out” your acne but you should avoid this at all cause! This will worsen the condition as physical exfoliants tend to be harsh and skin aggravating. Think of it as rubbing sand paper over a wound! You should instead opt for a gentle chemical exfoliant such as salicylic acid which is great for acne prone skin.
- Swap out harsh ingredients for clean and gentle skincare. Nourish your skin with amazing, plant-based ingredients that are skin soothing such as aloe vera and green tea.
- Topical application of oils that are thinner and drier in texture. Yes, you heard us right! We go into further depth about the benefits of topical oils and best oils for different skin concerns in another blog post. There are certain oils that are amazing for acne prone skin and are usually ones that are higher in linoleic acid. They moisturise, refine your skin as well as clear pores. On top of that, they regulate excess sebum production as some oils such as jojoba oil are a similar match to your natural skin oil. Some examples of oils that are great for acne prone skin are hempseed oil and jojoba oil.